BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

WiP Wdnesday 3-2 I'm Back!!

Well I'm back to blogland.  I've had a crazy few weeks and I'm just now settled down.  The last two weeks I've been moving... yay!!  (Other than that whole packing/unpacking crap)  I'm now mostly moved into our new place and I'm already in love.  The best part...???  My own sewing room!!!!!!!!!!!  Yep - no more sewing in the dining room.  I told my boyfriend he could have the garage all to himself if I could have a bedroom all to myself.  It works out very well for us both -especially since I have an auto start in my truck and don't need the garage!  Here are a few pictures of the sewing room so far:  (I'm not quite done unpacking so it's a bit bare... It's my major WIP right now!)


Yes, that is Wizard of Oz Monopoly!  I'm a bit of a geek, and I love me some Wizard of Oz.  I wanted my Oz collection in my sewing room for inspiration.  I'm also hanging up my Rob Thomas and Johnny Depp posters - not much better inspiration than that kind of beauty!  Hehe.  

Here's my design wall - it's a Fon's and Porter I got for Christmas this year:


I've only been able to work on a few things since moving but last night I was suffering from my usual insomnia and my design wall went from the above picture to this:


It's 90% if my Pure quilt. I'm using the Sugar Pop N Change pattern from Moda Bake Shop.  I'm not sure about my sashing color yet.  My sister's two best friends both want this quilt when it's done...so I might have to make one more.  I think since one of them is male and the other female I'll choose sashing colors by who I'll give it to.  I think a cream sashing would be beautiful, as would a dark brown.  I also love just crisp white sashing.



I wish I could make a dozen quilts from the Pure line.  I'm incredibly in love with it!!  I think I'm going to make a baby blanket with it just in case I have a baby boy some day.

I also got some awesome things in the mail the last few days.  I've been wanting color cards forever.  My local quilt shops do not carry much in the way of solids, so I have really no way of knowing which solids to order online when I need them (and I'm a huge fan of solids!)


This is the kona color card that I ordered from Sew Fresh Fabrics.  They had 4 and posted on Facebook that they had them listed and I was lucky enough to get one for $16.95 (They are $29.99 some places online!).  I'd definitely recommend 'liking' them on Facebook so you can get in on some good deals.


I'd like to add: I'm in no way affiliated with any of the companies I talk about, but I will absolutely share if I find a shop or company that I love and Sew Fresh Fabrics is one of those shops!



And this is the Bella Solids color card I ordered from Thimbleanna for $19.00.  They were great and the delivery was super fast!!   Now I just have to control myself from ordering a bolt in every color!

I'm also looking into taking up a new hobby along with my sewing.  I've found a few great blogs about thrifting and refinishing furniture and such.  I ran across Vintage Revivals the other day - and literally spent 2 hours looking through every post.  I was so, so inspired.  So my new project will be refinishing this coffee table that I rescued from the burn pile a few years ago


I want to refinish it with a dark wood stain and maybe get one of those awesome vinyl decals for the top.  It is very sturdy and it's a great size... it just happens to be in kind of rough shape.  So this will be what I'm working on this week along with finishing my Pure quilt top and catching up on the LCQA.  

If you guys are still reading - thank you - and I have a question.  How do you name your quilts?  Like for this Pure quilt I'm using a pattern, so do you usually use part of the pattern name, or is it customary to name it something completely original?  Do you even name quilts that you make from a pattern?  Or is it just quilts you design??  I've never named a quilt before, and I just don't have any idea of how people usually do it!  I know I've seen some fabric line names and such - I just didn't know if there was a system or something 'normal' that people do.  

Thanks!!  Happy WIP Wednesday!  I'm so glad to be back in blogland and I can't wait to see what everyone has been up to since I was here last.

12 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Dark brown sashing will look great with the Pure, I know because I am working on a Schnibbles quilt with pure charms and brown background fabric.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Yikes, naming quilts is so tricky. I'm really dreadful at it, but I do name (or try to name) all of the quilts that I make, and I put that on the label I add to the back of the quilt, along with who made it, when, and for whom. I love your Sugar Pop & Change layout, Pure is such a gorgeous line of fabric. I'm so boring, but white would look so crisp and beautiful with that! Good luck with your unpacking :)

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

YAY! Congrats on getting through your move. And getting a new sewing room. We just moved and somehow I'm in the dining room. Hmmm..

Can't wait to see your room progress. Your pure quilt looks great. We are using the pop and change for our do good stitches block. It's a great pattern and looks fantastic in pure.

Naming quilts is really hard for me. I often name it based on what it looks like or what fabric line I used (if I primarily used one). Sometimes I just blog about it and have my creative readers name it!

Debbie said...

Your PURE quilt is beautiful! I usually just name my quilt somehow by the fabric line or pattern I used - whatever I find most appealing!

Anonymous said...

Wow congrats on the big move and landing your own sewing room! That's awesome! I love the quilt on your design wall... although many options would look great, I vote for a cream sashing.

As for naming I usually go with something simple like "Grace's Quilt" for a quilt I made for Grace. Not very creative, but at least then I can easily remember the project and what it was for. : ) Happy WIP!

Kate said...

Yay for moving and getting a sewing room! Pure would look nice with either cream or dark brown, for sure.

I name my quilts after songs. Sometimes it involves the fabric name (Urban Chicks Dream On is "Sweet Dreams Are Made of These"), sometimes it's just inspired by the quilt (my postage stamp for Valentine's with all that pink is "Bad Romance.")

Lee said...

Wow, great progress on that Pure quilt! I love it! And how wonderful that you now get your own sewing room—enjoy getting settled in it!

Thanks for linking up, have a great week.

Teje said...

Hello! Congratulaitons for a new home and sewing room! Your new quilt looks wonderful! I love those natural colours!
I have named those few quilts I have made - the name just came to me, with the fabric, colours and the figures I used.
Sunny wishes!

MJ @ Creative Madness Mama said...

I feel your excitement. We're moving soon and I will have a Quilting Den. I'm really excited!

Becky said...

Ugh. We've moved across the country twice in teh last 5 years. No fun!! Lot of great stuff! I don't name all of my quilts. Usually it's just the pattern name I use or the design line, or what inspired it when I do...

Melanie said...

Enjoy your new sewing room! I am pea green with envy!

Millie said...

Congrats on your new home and have fun in your new sewing room. We have moved from one country to antoher, not fun at all. I like your new quilt.

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Tell me what you think: really!! I need all the advice I can get :)