BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

WiP Wednesday 1-26-11

The last week has flown by!  I can't believe it's Wednesday again! 

I did my very first machine quilting this week!  Yay!  I was really nervous so I decided just to do something simple.  I quilted my wall hanging that I've been working on for just this purpose.  Here it is all basted:


I was going to leave this plain but I decided to applique a few dragonflies on the front.  There are actually dragonflies in one of the prints, so I just traced one of them on photoshop and printed out the pattern that way. 


Then I just used my walking foot to quilt straight lines 1/4 of an inch from each seam.  I used monofilament because of the contrast in the fabrics (I couldn't find one that would blend all the way down or acroos). 




I am very pleased with how it turned out.  I'm nervous about binding it though.  I've never bound anything bigger than a mug rug.

I also finished block 7 for the layer cake quilt along (see button in sidebar.)  I am in love with this block design!!

So that's it for this week.  Happy Wednesday everyone!!


9 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Good for you, Annie! Your machine quilting looks great. As for binding, well, I think quilting is a lot easier than binding, but that's just me. Use lots and lots of pins, and you'll be okay. Happy WiP Wednesday!

Katie Ringo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Ringo said...

Connecting Threads Bumpless Binding Finishing Video

I watched that video about a million times. Still perfecting my binding technique too, no worries.

Love the dragonflies! I think your wallhanging is gorgeous and what a great decision it was to do the applique dragonfly. Your quilting really compliments it!

Wandering Minstrel said...

Oh, I love the block 7 design, too! And your version is especially wonderful. :)

Hooray, for your quilting! It looks fabulous. As for binding--good luck! I learned binding as part of my first quilting classes at a wonderful quilt shop, so I didn't realize until I got online that binding was intimidating! I have been practicing different ways of doing bindings with my mug rugs--I'm sure you'll figure it out!

randi said...

looks great!

i have machine quilted a few quilts, but i still need lots of work on it. practice makes perfect they say! :)

Rebecca said...

I love the look of stitching a distance from the seams, stitching in the ditch requires too much concentration for me :D

Lee said...

Your machine quilting looks FANTASTIC! I can't believe that's your first time doing it! Looks fab, and the appliques are very cute too.

Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday, have a wonderful week! : )

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your block 7...I'm now 2 block behind.
Congrats on learning to machine quilt...looks great!

Cathy said...

HI: I love the dragon fly you added totally makes the item and of course I love purples and mauves all those shades. Great job on the quilting it looks good I have a tough time too. Do pretty good on that sort, its the meandering I must master. Good job!

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Tell me what you think: really!! I need all the advice I can get :)