BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The New Kids are Coming + Sliced Coins

It's been an extremely hard week in my family.  Last week my 14 year old nephew was hit by a truck outside of his house in Washington.  Because of the extent of his injuries, he was put into a medically induced coma.  On Wednesday an MRI showed no brain function.  They took him off life support yesterday.  I know he's in a better place now, but our grief is deep.  He will be greatly missed.  When he was little, if he was upset or scared he used to say "The new kids are coming," like the New Kids on the Block were his personal body guards.  It was my favorite thing ever.  Hopefully the New Kids came to see him off in his dreams...

On a much lighter note, I was able to focus my sadness into some productivity last night while I couldn't sleep.  I am a bit behind on the sliced coins quilt along (click the button to the right  to join the fun!) but last night I got all my coins sliced.


I didn't really go into the slicing with much of a plan.  I used my 9.5x9.5" ruler to figure out what coin width would look good on each part of the fabric.  The smallest coins I cut were 2" and I cut some in each inch increment from 2-6".  I did find two spots that a 7" coin looked best, so I just went with that.  I used 10 fat quarters, so I'm sure I won't be using all my coins for the front, but I do love pieced backs.  Here's a shot of some of my fabrics all laid out



I think these are my favorite two of the entire line:



I'm working on this, and a couple other fat quarter projects right now, and I've gathered all these beautiful little selvages!  What to do with them??


Maybe I'll just keep them on my shelf for inspiration :) 

3 comments:

Wandering Minstrel said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. *hugs*

Lee said...

Oh, I am so sorry about your nephew. What a terrible tragedy for your family.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your dreadful loss, what a horrible time for you and your family.
Patricia

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Tell me what you think: really!! I need all the advice I can get :)